1980 — Kennebec Plaque, Hallowell, ME The “Ancient Kennebec” plaque originally placed in Augusta in 1975 (q.v. for text) was relocated in 1980 to a brick wall of a building at 136 Walnut Street owned by the past governor of the Maine Mayflower Society, Eben L. Elwell. The city is named for Benjamin Hallowell, a Boston merchant and one of the Kennebec Proprietors, holders of land originally granted to the Plymouth Company by the British monarchy in the 1620s.
Unknown – Information Label, Museum, Damariscove, ME The Museum on the two-mile long island Damariscove has a small sign reading: “1622 / During the early days of the Ply- / mouth Colony there were thirteen year / round fishermen living on / Damariscove. After a particularly / harsh winter, the fishermen of the / island supplied the colonists with / much needed provisions.” There is no mention of the destruction by a violent storm of the Little James in the harbor there in 1624.
1915 — Cushnoc (Koussinoc), Maine Trading Post Memorial Boulder, Augusta, ME An act was introduced in the Maine Legislature that provided $5,000 to erect a monument in commemoration of the old Pilgrim trading post in Cushnoc (now the city of Augusta). The trading post had been established in 1628 to obtain furs to send back to England as payment to their backers, the Adventurers. Unfortunately the ship carrying the furs was captured by pirates. The General Society voted to approve the efforts of the Maine Society to secure passage.
1932 — Tablet, Capitol Building, Augusta, ME The state capitol of Maine is the only state capitol built upon land previously owned by the Pilgrims. The brass tablet located on the third floor of the Capitol is headed by an image of the Mayflower and reads: THE MAYFLOWER / DECEMBER 1620 / THIS TABLET IS PLACED / TO HONOR THE PILGRIMS / OF THE MAYFLOWER / * * * / IN AN AGE / OF INTOLERANCE AND OF / BIGOTRY, THE PILGRIMS / OF THE MAYFLOWER LAID / THE FOUNDATIONS OF THIS / MIGHTY NATION WHEREIN / EVERY MAN, THROUGH / COUNTLESS AGES, SHALL / HAVE LIBERTY TO WORSHIP / GOD IN HIS OWN WAY / ERECTED BY THE SOCIETY OF MAYFLOWER / DESCENDANTS IN THE STATE OF MAINE / AUGUST 1932
1939 — Cushnoc Trading Post Memorial Plaque on Bolder, Augusta, ME The memorial to this trading post on site that is in the form of a boulder bearing a plaque that reads: CUSHNOC TRADING POST / 1628 – 1661 / IN COMMEMORATION OF THE FIRST TRADING / VOYAGE OF THE PILGRIMS OF PLYMOUTH TO / THE ANCIENT INDIAN VILLAGE AT CUSHNOC / ON THE KENNEBEC RIVER, 1625, AND ON / THIS SITE THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THEIR / FUR TRADING POST WITH THE INDIANS, 1628, / JOHN HOWLAND IN COMMAND, 1634, THIS TABLET ERECTED BY THE / SOCIETY DAUGHTERS OF COLONIAL WARS / IN / THE STATE OF MAINE / 1639 The site is now occupied by New England's oldest surviving wooden fort, Old Fort Western, which was built in 1754. In 2009 plans were under way to recreate the Cushnoc Trading Post.
1975 — Tablet, City Center Building, Augusta, ME This shield shaped tablet in the office of the director of Fort Western is headed by the seal of the General Society of Mayflower Descendants and reads: IN HONOR OF THOSE “MAYFLOWER” / PILGRIMS, WHO, UNDER EDWARD WINSLOW, / FIRST TRADED WITH THE INDIANS ON THE / KENNEBEC IN 1625, AND LATER ESTABLISHED / A TRADING POST AT KOUSSINOK / (AUGUSTA) ON THIS SITE, AND THUS / WERE ENABLED TO PAY OFF THEIR / DEBT TO THE LONDON MERCHANT / ADVENTURERS, THIS PLAQUE IS / RESPECTFULLY DEDICATED IN THIS / 350TH ANNIVERSARY YEAR / BY THE SOCIETY OF / MAYFLOWER DESCENDANTS / IN THE STATE OF MAINE / ROBERT L. STEVENS / GOVERNOR / AUG. 26, 1975 1975 — Plaque, Fort Western, Augusta, ME This bronze plaque reads: ANCIENT/KENNEBEC [surrounds the seal of the General Society] / 1625 1975 / 350TH ANNIVERSARY / OF THE / BRADFORD CHARTER WHICH GRANTED LAND HERE / AND I15 MILES ON EACH SIDE OF THE KENNEBEC / RIVER TO THE PILGRIMS AT PLYMOUTH. / ON OR NEAR THIS SITE THE PILGRIMS ESTABLISHED / A ‘FITT TRADING PLACE IN YE RIVER KENNEBEC” / E. FREDERICK LOW, GOVERNOR GENERAL / VIRGINIA E. ADAMSON, GOVERNOR / MAINE SOCIETY OF MAYFLOWER DESCENDANTS. It was subsequently relocated in 1980 to Hallowell, ME (q.v.).
1993 — Cushnoc Archeological Site Plaque, Augusta, ME A plaque on a bolder in front of the City Center Building reads: CUSHNOC / ARCHEOLOGICAL SITE / HAS BEEN DESIGNATED A / NATIONAL HISTORICAL LANDMARK / THIS SITE POSSESSES NATIONAL SIGNIFICANCE / IN COMMEMORATING THE HISTORY OF THE / UNITED STATES OF AMERICA / 1993 / NATIONAL PARK SERVICE / UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
1913 — Pilgrim Monument, Old West Quay, Southampton, England The General Society of Mayflower Descendants contributed $100 toward this monument that was unveiled by US Ambassador Walter Page.
1955 — Plaque, The Pilgrim Fathers Memorial, Southampton, England Plaque with may flowers in the four corners and an image of the ship Mayflower beneath which appears “THE GENERAL SOCIETY OF MAYFLOWER DESCENDANTS (USA, 1897) / WALDO MORGAN ALLEN, GOVERNOR GENERAL / ON THEIR FIRST PILGRIMAGE – 152, BY PLANES – TO THE NETHERLANDS AND ENGLAND / SEPTEMBER 22 - OCTOBER 6, 1955 / 335 YEARS AFTER THE SAILING OF THE MAYFLOWER" Unknown — Plaque, West Gate, Southampton, Hampshire, England The Pilgrims would have passed through this gate to board the Mayflower and Speedwell. A Plaque reads: “COUNTY BOROUGH OF SOUTHAMPTON / WESTGATE / --------- / THIS IMPORTANT WESTGATE / LED DIRECTLY TO THE WEST QUAY / WHICH FOR MANY CENTURIES WAS THE / ONLY COMMERCIAL QUAY WHICH THE / TOWN POSSESSED * THE GROOVES / OF THE PORTCULLIS GATES / AND THE APERTURES THROUGH / WHICH THE DEFENDERS OF THE TOWN / COULD HARASS ATTACKERS MAY STILL / BE SEEN * * THROUGH THIS / ARCHWAY MARCHED SOME OF THE / ARMY OF HENRY V ON THEIR WAY / TO AGINCOURT IN 1415 / * * / THE PILGRIM FATHERS / EMBARKED HERE FROM THE WEST / QUAY ON THE MAYFLOWER / AUGUST 15TH 1620”
1868 — Chicago Congregational Church Stone, Chicago, IL A gravestone dated 1595 was sent from the Delfshaven, Holland, Olde Kirke to be placed in the wall of this new church.
1881 — Scrooby Font, Wellington Avenue United Church of Christ, Chicago, IL In 1881, Mr. William H. Bradley, who was a member of the New England Congregational Church in Chicago, was traveling to England. On that visit he met Lady Lowther who had knowledge of the Scrooby’s St. Wilfrid’s Church. It appears that some years earlier this church had been renovated and that while the base of the font now supported a newly designed bowl, the font itself was now unused and stored away. It struck Mr. Bradley that if he could acquire this historic font for the New England Church, it would serve as a fitting memorial to his daughter, Mary, and her two infant sons, all of whom had died recently before his trip to England. Lady Lowther made arrangements with Lord Houghton, the proprietor of the Scrooby estates, and with the Warden of the Scrooby Church. On March 1, 1882, Mr. Bradley formally presented the Scrooby font to the New England Church. On July 14, 1936, the building of the New England Congregational Church burned. The Scrooby font was saved from the fire and the Wellington Avenue Congregational Church was asked to be its custodian in order that "it may be conserved and used to the glory of God." The font was formally given to Wellington Church on February 25, 1942. A plaque on the font reads: “BAPTISMAL*FONT / OF*THE*FOURTEENTH / CENTURY*FROM*THE / CHURCH*AT*SCROOBY*ENGLAND / NEAR*THE*MANOR*HOUSE*WHERE*THE / FIRST*CHURCH*OF*THE*PILGRIMS*WAS / FORMED*GIVEN*AUGUST*24*1881*BY*LADY / ISABELLA*L*H*LOWTHER*OF*WILTON*CASTLE / YORKSHIRE*TO*WILLIAM*H*BRADLEY*TO*BE / PLACED*IN*THE*NEW*ENGLAND*CHURCH*IN / MEMORY*OF*HIS*BELOVED*DAUGHTER / MARY*C*GRAY*WIFE*OF*WILLIAM / HARRISON*BRADLEY*AND* OF /WILLIAM*HENRY*AND*BRYSON*DELAVAN / THEIR*INFANT*SONS
1953 — Leiden Pilgrim Settlement Stone, Chicago Tribune Square, Chicago, IL The citizens of Leiden sent a stone from the house occupied by Pastor John Robinson in 1609 in Leiden to the Chicago Tribune to be embedded in the walls of Tribune Square as part of a collection of famous stones. A similar stone was presented to the General Society in 1954. It arrived aboard the BOAC airliner Mayflower.
1844 — Scrooby Manor Bronze Plaque, Scrooby, England The Pilgrim Society erected a plaque that reads: “THIS TABLET IS ERECTED BY THE / PILGRIM SOCIETY OF PLYMOUTH / MASSACHUSETTS, UNITED STATES OF / AMERICA, TO MARK THE SITE OF THE / ANCIENT MANOR HOUSE, WHERE LIVED / WILLIAM BREWSTER / FROM 1588 TO 1606, AND WHERE HE / ORGANIZED THE PILGRIM CHURCH, OF / WHICH HE BECAME ELDER, AND / WITH WHICH, IN 1608, HE REMOVED TO / AMSTERDAM, IN 1609 TO LEYDEN, AND IN / 1620 TO PLYMOUTH, WHERE HE DIED / APRIL 16, 1644.” See below for the 1920 plaque.
1905 — Scrooby Manor (Pilgrim Homestead), Scrooby, Nottinghamshire, England The General Society of Mayflower Descendants began efforts to purchase this property where Elder William Brewster once lived and where he conducted nonconformist religious services. Plans were abandoned in 1908.
1920 — Scrooby Manor Bronze Plaque, Scrooby, England A bronze plaque commemorating the 300th anniversary of the Mayflower was erected which reads: “ ON THE THREE HUNDREDTH ANNIVERSARY / OF THE SAILING OF THE MAYFLOWER / WITH THE PILGRIM FATHERS TO NEW / ENGLAND, THIS TABLET WAS UNVEILED / BY THE REPRESENTATIVES OF THE / ANGLO-AMERICAN SOCIETY, IN / COMMEMORATION OF THE HEROIC VIRTUES / OF THE LITTLE BAND OF LOVERS OF / TRUTH AND FREEDOM WHICH FIRST MET / IN THIS PLACE. / SEPTEMBER 2 1920.”
1948 — St. Wilfrid’s Church, Scrooby, Nottinghamshire, England Pilgrim William Brewster first preached here in 1598. The General Society of Mayflower Descendants solicited contributions towards repairs of wartime damage to the church.
2009 — John Billington Plaque, Spalding, England Wooden plaque in Spalding Gentlemen’s Society reading “In memory / of ‘ John Billington, Wife Elinor, / and sons John Jr., Francis – Passengers / In 1620 on Pilgrim Ship Mayflower / Believed from Cowbit Lincolnshire / near Spalding, England / Richard L. Mix Family 2009” The Club is one of the oldest learned societies in the United Kingdom, having been founded in 1710. It is the earliest provincial associations for the encouragement of archaeology. The plaque was placed by The Billington Family Association founder Richard Mix.
2011 — St. Mary’s Church, Redenhall, Norfolk Co., England A dedication ceremony is planned for the spring of 2011 for the blessing of a plaque to be placed in St. Mary's by the Fuller Society. The plaque will state that the Fuller Society helped in the restoration of the window (beside where the plaque will be placed) and read: “In memory of / Edward Fuller baptized 4 September 1575 / & / Samuel Fuller baptized 20 January 1580 / Pilgrims to America on the Mayflower 1620. / Fuller Society 2011”
1780 — The Mayflower Pub, Rotherhithe, Southwark, London, England This pub was built on the site of The Shippe pub that dates back to circa 1550. The Shippe was rebuilt and renamed the Spread Eagle and Crown in 1780 and then renamed as The Mayflower in 1957.
1955 — Pilgrim Father's Memorial Church Font, Southwark, London, England This church is the post World War II successor church to the 1788 Union Street and 1864 Buchenham Square Southwark Independent Church. The font, a gift of the church's minister, Dr. A. D. Belden (1883-1964), is fashioned out of a piece of Plymouth Rock that was originally intended as a foundation stone for the building.
1966 — Christopher Jones Plaque, St. Mary the Virgin Church, Rotherhithe, Southwark, London, England Christopher Jones was Master (captain) and part owner of the Mayflower that in 1620 carried the Pilgrims to New England. He was not a “Pilgrim” although he played a most important part in their lives. In 1611 Jones had moved the ship from his home town and port of Harwich to Rotherhithe, then the center of England’s trade, located on the south bank of the Thames. The ship was registered there from that date until it was broken up in 1624. The last entry about the Mayflower in the Port of London Customs Book for “Christopher Jones, of ‘The Mayflower’” was in October 1621. Jones died in 1622. His grave was lost and a new memorial was erected to him in the year of the 375th anniversary of the Mayflower voyage. The plaque reads “THE MAYFLOWER / Christopher Jones, Master and part owner / was buried in this churchyard, 5th March 1622. / This Tablet was erected on the occasion of the / 250th Anniversary of the Consecration / of this Church”
1995 — Sailing of the Mayflower Plaque, Rotherhithe, Southwark, London, England The People of the London Borough of Southwark placed a plaque commemorating the sailing of the Mayflower under the command of Rotherhithe’s Christopher Jones. The round blue plaque reads: “London Borough of Southwark / Sailing of the Mayflower / In 1620 the Mayflower sailed from / Rotherhithe on the first stage of / its epic voyage to America / In command was Captain/Christopher Jones / of Rotherhithe / Voted by the People”
Unknown — “Sunshine Weekly and the Pilgrim’s Pocket” Statue, Rotherhithe, Southwark, London, England This life sized statue depicts the astonishment of a 17th century Pilgrim and a boy reading a 1930’s comic, whilst a frisky Staffordshire Bull Terrier clamors for attention. The pilgrim’s pocket contains an A-Z, dated 1620! The statue reflects the area’s past connection to the Pilgrims. Erected by the Mayflower Tenants Assn., Sunshine Weekly and the Pilgrim’s Pocket.
1891 — Tablet, The Mayflower Steps, Plymouth, England Tablet without adornment reads: “On the 6th of September 1620 in the Mayorality of Thomas Townes / after being kindly entertained and courteously used by divers / Friends there dwelling, the Pilgrim Fathers sailed from / Plymouth in the Mayflower in the Providence of God to / to settle in NEW PLYMOUTH and to lay the foundations / of the NEW ENGLAND STATES ~~ The ancient / Cawsey whence they embarked was destroyed not many Years / afterwards, but the Site of their Embarkation is marked by / the Stone bearing the name of the MAYFLOWER in / the pavement of the adjacent Pier. This Tablet was erected / in the Mayorality of J. T. Bond 1891 to commemorate / their Departure and the visit to Plymouth in July / of that Year of a number of their Descendants and / Representatives.
1891 — Mayflower Stone, Sutton Harbor Pier, Plymouth, England Stone in pavement in front of the portico on the Mayflower Steps reads: MAYFLOWER / 1620
1895 — The Mayflower Steps & Arch, Sutton Harbor Pier, Plymouth, England These steps and arch mark the approximate area where the Pilgrims boarded the Mayflower and finally set sail on September 6, 1620.
1934 — Tablet, The Mayflower Steps, Plymouth, England Immediately below the above 1891 tablet above is another tablet stating: THIS MEMORIAL, PRESENTED BY ALDERMAN SIR FREDERICK WINNICOTT, J. P., / WAS UNVEILED BY THE RIGHT WORSHIPFUL THE MAYOR OF PLYMOUTH / (Mr COUNCILLOR E. STANLEY LEATHERBY) ON THE 5th SEPTEMBER 1934
1955 — Plaque, The Barbican, Plymouth, England Plaque with mayflowers in the four corners and an image of the ship Mayflower beneath which appears: THE GENERAL SOCIETY OF MAYFLOWER DESCENDANTS (USA, 1897) / WALDO MORGAN ALLEN, GOVERNOR GENERAL / ON THEIR FIRST PILGRIMAGE – 152, BY PLANES – TO THE NETHERLANDS AND ENGLAND / SEPTEMBER 22 - OCTOBER 6, 1955 / 335 YEARS AFTER THE SAILING OF THE MAYFLOWER 1955 — Plaque, Buckland Abbey, Plymouth, England Plaque with may flowers in the four corners and an image of the ship Mayflower beneath which appears: THE GENERAL SOCIETY OF MAYFLOWER DESCENDANTS (USA, 1897) / WALDO MORGAN ALLEN, GOVERNOR GENERAL / ON THEIR FIRST PILGRIMAGE – 152, BY PLANES – TO THE NETHERLANDS AND ENGLAND / SEPTEMBER 22 - OCTOBER 6, 1955 / 335 YEARS AFTER THE SAILING OF THE MAYFLOWER. Buckland Abbey at one time was the home of Sir Francis Drake.
2000 — Plaque, Mayflower Steps, Plymouth, England The plaque includes an image of the Provincetown (MA) Pilgrim Monument and reads: “Pilgrims Point – The Mayflower Steps / The Mayflower made its first landfall at what / is now Provincetown, Massachusetts on the / 11th November 1620 after 66 days at sea. / There the Mayflower Compact, the first / democratic document written in America / was composed and signed. / ‘And upon the 11th of November we came to / an anchor in the bay …. a harbor wherein a / thousand sail of ships / may safely ride.’ / from Mourt’s Relation: A Journal of the / Pilgrims at Plymouth / Presented May 19, 2000 by the Pilgrim / Monument & Provincetown Museum and the / Town of Provincetown, Massachusetts”
1970 — 350 Anniversary Tablet, Mayflower Steps, Plymouth, England A tablet reads: THE HONORABLE WALTER ANNENBERG / UNITED STATES AMBASSADOR / TO THE COURT OF ST. JAMES’S / UNVEILED THIS TABLET ON THE / 6TH. SEPTEMBER 1970. THIS DAY BEING / THE 350TH ANNIVERSARY OF / THE SAILING OF THE ‘MAYFLOWER’/ COUNCILLOR ERIC D. NUTTALL, J.P. / LORD MAYOR
Unknown —The Elizabethan Gardens, Plymouth, England The Elizabethan Garden is a recreation of an Elizabethan garden. Above the archway into the gardens is a relief carving of the Mayflower.
Unknown — The Pilgrims List, Plymouth, England Contains errors as to trade and place of origin.
Unknown — Sherwell Congregational Church Window, Plymouth, Devonshire, England A four panel family memorial stained glass window, the gift of a parish member, depicts the Pilgrims boarding the Mayflower on the Barbican wharf. An inscription across the panels reads "Aye call it holy ground, the soil where they first trod. They left unstained what they found, there they found freedom to worship God."